Our Special Seasoning Blend

It's an exciting time when you're getting married. One of the most enjoyable parts for me was planning and getting ideas for components like party favours, flower arrangements, music selection, and so forth. I wanted our wedding to be an event where we can put a little bit of ourselves and what we love on display. We also wanted to make our guests feel comfortable and give them the freedom to enjoy themselves. 

Proceeding to the fact that led to the topic at hand: I love party favours. Although they are very unnecessary, I think of how I get a spark of excitement when I go to a party and see a little present for me on the table. Naturally, our guests had to experience the same feeling! The challenge was thinking of a present that represents what we want to share with our special guests (and also wouldn’t break the bank). I wanted to give our guest something they can use, specifically something they can use in their homes. Cosy, homey togetherness is such a great joy in this world!   


And then came the idea for a seasoning blend! An ideal gift indeed as it fitted in well within our requirements. I searched on Pinterest and saw there was a lot of different ideas to make this a reality. A jar of the seasoning blend was given to the gentlemen (mostly for braai purposes), and my mom made fig jam for the ladies. This was also very special as she made it herself and my dad helped to process the figs that came from fig trees in their yard. Also a versatile item as it can be enjoyed with various foods. We enjoy it on baked goods like bread and scones, or even with some camembert on a cracker.   

I had a rough concept of what I wanted to add to the mix and with that I created a recipe. The initial recipe changed along the way to develop the seasoning blend to what it is now. It was such a great feeling to see everything come together! We went to a local bakery who sold bulk packets of dried herbs and spices, got what we needed, and went to work. The blend includes some of our favourite herbs and spices we use daily. It just happens to be in a jar, already mixed together so that you can conveniently scoop or sprinkle as needed. Plus, it looks great when you flaunt it on your kitchen counter!

A little something about myself: I connect a deeper meaning to most of the things I do. So for me, this wasn't just something to get over and done with. It came from the heart. I was able to do what I love doing, with my family. My husband and I, and my parents came together to create this. The tasting panel had some very strict participants, but it resulted in a fair outcome and a (slightly chaotic) kitchen table full of herbs and spices.   

This was the Instagram post I made after the full batch of the seasoning blend was produced. Just look at how beautiful that is! Now, I'm sure not everyone is going to get excited when they see some dried up leaves and seeds. As for me, this makes me happy- the colours, what it is used for, and being able to share it!

I am not sure how to classify this mix as it has elements from different cuisines. Call it what you want- we like it a lot! You can use it as a rub as it’s got quite a coarse texture. We've tried it on lamb chops, pork roast and potato wedges, amongst other things. It works really well and brings some exciting flavours to the table! Be sure to shake the jar before you use it as some of the ground paprika tends to sink to the bottom of the jar. When you add the mix, make sure you rub it in for an even coat.

We made a lot, but I reduced the quantities so that the recipe below will yield a sample amount to try out before you make loads of it. Play around with it until you get a product that works for you. 

Recipe:
½ tsp crushed chillies
½ tsp garlic flakes
1 tsp ground paprika
2 tsp roasted coriander seeds
1 ½ tbsp dried thyme
4 tsp coarse salt
4 tsp crushed peppercorns

Method:
Mix all the herbs and spices together, and store it in an airtight container. Shake before using.

Note: you can also put this mix in a food processor and process it until finely ground. 

I'm glad to have the chance to share this with you. Try it out and see what you think! Something from our home, to yours, and hopefully to other homes as well. I hope you get a lot of opportunities to make something special with your loved ones (for your loved ones)- be it seasoning, or otherwise!  

Comments

Popular Posts